Finding a strudel pastry recipe proved to be one of the most difficult things! Tried one recipe off the internet which must have had a typo... 300ml of vegetable oil for pastry? Needless to say it didn't turn out well...
Then decided to adapt Danny's pastry recipe off the BBC Food section for her savoury strudel from episode six! Here it is!
Ingredients for pastry
285g plain flour
1 tsp vegetable oil
pinch of salt
1 medium egg
150 ml water
butter for scattering
Ingredients for filling
a handful of sultanas
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Sift the flour into a bowl. Make a well in the middle.
2. Add the oil and egg to the well. Stir in a little. Gradually add the water until it forms a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 15 minutes. (I tried Paul Hollywood's 'lift and twist' method and it worked quite well! The dough is very sticky and elastic so make sure you put lots of flour on your hands!)
4. Place in an oiled bowl and leave to rest for 1 hour.
5. Put some water and lemon juice into a pan. Peel and slice the apples, placing the prepared pieces in the pan as you go.
6. Drain the liquid off the apples. Add the cinnamon and sultanas and stir. Leave to simmer until soft.
7. Preheat the oven to 200. Place a patterned cloth on your table and flour it. Roll out your pastry to about 50cm wide with a rolling pin. Then stretch the pastry by hand.
8. Scatter melted butter on the pastry.
9. Place the filling in a line about 10cm from the top of the dough. Fold the top over the filling tightly. Then lift the cloth and roll the strudel up.
10. Glaze liberally with butter and bake for 30-40 minutes. (I checked mine after 20, then 30 and took it out of the oven after 35 minutes as I had a little leakage)
11. Remove to a wire cooling wrack and enjoy!
For a first attempt, I was very happy with the result! Here are some snaps I took along the way! X Bo
|Dough when first combined|
|After 15 minutes of kneading|
|Pastry rolled and stretched so thin you can see the flowers!|
|Rolled and ready to bake|
|35 minutes later...|