Had a bit of a disaster with my first attempt...
Needless to say I started again and it came out very well!
Ingredients for the sponge
300g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
300g caster sugar
250g unsalted butter, very soft
4 large eggs
4 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
225g unsalted butter, very soft
450g dark muscovado sugar
175ml double cream
300g icing sugar
pinch of salt flakes
100g dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 160. Grease and line 3 20cm sandwich tins. Put the flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla using a fork, then add to the flour mix. Beat together using an electric hand mixer until everything is thoroughly combined and very smooth, thick and light.
2. Divide the mixture between your 3 tins and spread level. Bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes then turn out of the tins.
3. Meanwhile, make the caramel filling. Put 175g of the butter into a pan with the muscovado sugar and cream. Heat until the butter has melted, then bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Pour into a bowl and gradually beat in the icing sugar, using an electric mixer. Gradually add the butter, followed by the salt.
4. Gently melt the chocolate. Spoon half into a piping bag. Put the other half in a bowl with a quarter of the caramel mixture.
5. To assemble the cake set one sponge on a serving plate. Spread one third of the caramel mixture on it. Spread the second sponge with the chocolate-caramel mixture and set on top. Place the third sponge on top. Leave to set for a little bit, otherwise it might landslide! When set cover the top and sides with the remaining caramel mixture.
6. Cut the end off the piping bag and pipe a spiral of chocolate on top of the cake. 'Feather' by drawing a skewer or cocktail stick through the icing and chocolate before set.
This was my contribution to my friend's Halloween house warming party. Everybody seemed to really like it, so I'd say it was a success in the end. Happy new flat Elisa & Jamie! X Bo