350g plain flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
175g unsalted butter
150g dark muscovado sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
1. Sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice, salt and bicarb into a mixing bowl.
2. Put the butter, sugar and syrup into a saucepan. Melt until smooth then add to the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon to form a dough.
3. Tip out onto a floured surface and knock into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
4. Roll out and cut out star shapes. Re-roll and re-cut until you have used all the mixture.
5. Preheat the oven to 160. Place the stars on a baking tray and bake to 10-12 minutes (It helps to rotate the baking trays half way through their cooking time to ensure an even colour.)
6. Move to a wire rack. Once cool, ice using royal icing in a piping bag. You could pipe dots, zig-zags, swirls, snowflakes onto your stars.
I absolutely loved making these biscuits. It was so easy and fun to decorate them. Left me feeling very jolly and a little prematurely festive. Absolutely recommend Michael Buble and She & Him's Christmas albums to listen to whilst icing. Signing off...