I wanted to make it in cupcakes, instead of a loaf to make it easier to share with my pals!
Also had to change it so it didn't have coffee in it... I have a fussy friend.
Ingredients for the sponge
250g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs, beaten
250g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
For the chocolate mixture
30g cocoa powder
2 tbsp milk
For the vanilla mixture1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze
100g white chocolate
100ml whipping cream
1. First, make the sponge mixture! Put the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until very creamy. Gradually add the sugar and then the vanilla.
2. Gradually add the eggs, one tablespoon at a time, beating well with every addition. When you're down to the last two spoonfuls, add one tablespoon of flour too. This keeps it from curdling.
3. Add the remaining flour and salt into the bowl and fold in using a metal spoon. Then divide the mixture into two bowls. Add the cocoa powder and milk to one and mix. Then add the vanilla to the other and mix.
4. Spoon both mixtures into a muffin tin, adding a spoonful of each alternately and scattering chocolate chips in between each layer. Using a skewer or a chop stick, marble the cake by swirling it through the layers.
5. Preheat the oven to 170. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cake is well risen and a tester comes out clean. Cool in the tin. Then take out of the tin and leave to cool completely.
6. While the cake is cooling, chop the chocolate for the glaze and put in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream and butter until hot, but not boiling. Then pour it over the chocolate and leave to stand, then stir until completely melted, smooth and glossy.
7. Leave to thicken for about an hour, until it is spreadable. Then put on top of your cakes!
I only had one left to photograph, they went down very well with my friends and family. X Bo