Sincere apologies for my lack of blogging recently but here's a lovely little recipe to make up for it! It's another one from Peggy Porschen's 'Boutique Baking' book.
Ingredients for the biscuits
250g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
pinch of salt
zest of 2 orangers OR 3 lemons OR 3 limes
1 large egg
500g plain flour
For the icing
250g icing sugar
white of 1 egg
1. Place the softened butter, salt and preferred zest in a mixing bowl and cream together until smooth and creamy.
2. Beat in the egg until fully incorporated. Add the flour and mix until the dough comes together. Shape into a ball and wrap in cling film. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. Once cooled, place on a floured surface and knead briefly.
4. Roll out the dough and cut out the butterfly shapes using cutters. Place them on a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper. Chill again for 30 minutes.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes at 155 until just turning golden around the edges.
6. Once baked, let them rest for about half an hour.
7. Meanwhile, to make the icing, mix the icing sugar with the egg white. Put in a disposable piping bag. Once the biscuits have cooled, pipe your designs on to them.
I chose to make lemon biscuits for my friends at our local pub quiz. Didn't have a lot of time to ice them so the designs are fairly straight forward. They resemble shortbread in their texture and leave very buttery marks on the baking paper. However, the pattern is quite pretty...
Until next time... X Bo