Audra's recipe gives quantities for 5 cakes and enough frosting for 2, in American measurements.
Here, I'm listing the quantities for 6 cakes, all frosted, in English measurements!
I made these for a girls night. I made 6, one each for all of us. I made them with a 4inch cutter and they were MASSIVE! A smaller cutter might be better...
Audra used slices of strawberries in her cakes, but I used jam instead!
Ingredients for cakes
360g caster sugar
216g soft butter
3 1/2 tsp vanilla paste/extract
345g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
550g icing sugar
3 tsp vanilla paste/extract
3 splashes of milk
12 tsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 175. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the caster sugar and butter together. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Using an electric mixer, beat on a high speed for 3 minutes until fluffy and pale. Add the vanilla paste and mix in.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add one third of the flour mix to the creamed mix, then half the mix, another third of flour, the rest of the mix and the last third of flour, mixing well with each addition.
4. Pour the mix into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
5. While the cake is baking, make the frosting! Whip the butter on a high speed until fluffy. Add the icing sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth and the right consistency.
6. Once the cakes are totally cool, use a cutter to stamp out rounds. Spread each layer with the frosting and jam. Add another layer on top and repeat. Cover with a thin layer of the frosting and freeze for half an hour to set a little. Cover with a thicker layer of frosting. Top with a slice of strawberry.